Clermont Farms Shower Curtain + Bonus!

A decorative shower curtain that’s simple to construct using a Layer Cake and Jelly Roll. This curtain adds color to your bath and shows off your quilting talents in a whole new way.

image

1 Clermont Farms Layer Cake by Minick & Simpson
1 Clermont Farms Jelly Roll
4 1/2 yards Clermont Farms solid cream fabric or backing of your choice

image

Front

Step 1: Arrange all 42 10″ x 10″ Layer Cake samples as pictured below. (I photographed small cuttings so you can see a clearer picture of my rotation). You can create any layout you’d like. It’s a simple matter of arranging them in a manner that appeals to your design sensibility. Note: All of the samples are being used uncut from the Layer Cake.

Step 2: Mark each row in a naming convention that works best for you. I like to use small sticky notes marked with the row number and the direction in which the blocks should be sewn together. Typically, I start from the left side, and collect each block going across to the end of the row. Therefore, the bottom sample in my stack is the last block in the row. When I’m ready to sew I can simply layout each row and I’m ready to begin. Another trick I use is to take a quick picture of the whole layout. It’s a fast and effective means of double-checking.

Step 3: First sew each of the 6 rows across.

Step 4: Now connect each of the rows together to complete the layout. Remember to insure the connecting joint points are meeting up snuggly. You can feel if they’re in place by rubbing your finger along the two joints. They’ll fit together like a glove when matched up. Pop a pin into each joint so they won’t slip while sewing across the row. If you feel a lump, it’s most likely going to create a problem when the two seams are sewn together. The key to an eye catching set of blocks is having the points meeting up perfectly. It’s just a matter of taking your time.

Step 5: For the bottom and final row, l created a design element to add interest. Using the Clermont Farms Jelly Roll, select the first 5 patterns represented in each row vertically starting from the top. Pictured below are the patterns for the first block.

Step 6: Sew the 5 patterns together to create a block.

Step 7: The 5 patterns will yield a block a bit larger then 10″ x 10″. Simply trim the block on both the left and right sides by approximately 1/4″.

Step 8: Sew the final row together, but turn every other block horizontally to create the decorative effect.


Step 9: Sew the the row to the bottom of the curtain.

Side Borders

Step 1: Measure the sides of your curtain. My measurement was 66 1/2″.

Step 2: From the Jelly Roll, select 12 patterns to be used for the side borders. I decided to use a blue combination on the outer border column, and a beige combination on the inside border column.

Pictured below are my selections.

Step 3: Each column will have 3 patterns sewn together vertically to make the column. Determine the rotation of the patterns and cut each 23″ x 2 1/2″ (the width of the Jelly Roll).

Step 4: Sew the 3 patterns together to create 4 vertical border strips.

Step 5: Sew the coordinating left and right panels together (meeting the joints at each intersection).

Step 6: Sew the completed border to each side of your shower curtain.

The left border completed and sewn to the shower curtain.



Top and Bottom Borders

Step 1: Select another 12 patterns from the Jelly Roll for the top and bottom borders. Again I decided to use a blue combination on the outer border column and this time chose a red combination on the inside border

Pictured below are my selections.

Step 2: Follow Steps 3 through 6 from the Side Border directions.

The bottom border completed and sewn to the shower curtain.



Quilting

Step 1: Measure your shower curtain top both by length and width.

Step 2: Determine the fabric you’d like to use as the backing. I used Clermont Farms in the solid cream. Measure out the length of your quilt and add approximately 3 inches to both the top and bottom. Use your new total measurement and layout the backing fabric. There are many ways to make a backing. In this project, I chose to sew selvage to selvage. After opening up my sewed fabric, my width is clearly achieved. Since I’m going to quilt the project, the seam line will not be noticeable. Additionally, this side of the curtain will be facing the plastic shower lining so no worries at all!

Step 3: I want my curtain to have flow, and also have ease of movement. I did as little quilting as possible. The more you quilt the firmer the piece becomes as a whole. I chose a simple diamond pattern that intersects every other block. I also added a free motion pattern around all 4 borders to add an accent.

Step 4: I used the random leftover strips from my Jelly Roll to create a classic binding.


Buttonholes

Step 1: Measure across the top of the shower curtain.
Note: After quilting and binding, the measurement will change a bit.

Step 2: Divide the amount of shower rings by the total width of your curtain. Mine measured 72″. I allowed for 3 inches on each side and spaced out the rings in 6″ intervals. I used household clothes pins to mark the buttonhole position.

Step 3: Practice some test buttonholes on a “sandwich” in a similar weight as your curtain. I used some leftover fabric and a piece of my batting. It’s important to play around with buttonhole sizes. I used my current shower curtain as a guide.

Step 4: I used a buttonhole length of 3/4″. I selected the setting for a buttonhole normally used for heavier material. If you have your manual, it’s a good idea to check out the buttonhole options you have available on your machine.

Step 5: After you sew the buttonholes be extra careful when opening up the seam. You don’t want to cut outside the sewn seams.

Wash and dry your shower curtain as you would a quilt. Hang it up and give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done.

Congratulations!

Bonus: Matching Guest Hand Towel

Step 1: Purchase a hand towel of your choice. I used a simple white towel. The Clermont Farms fabrics will add both color and interest to the border.

Step 2: Select 11 patterns from the Jelly Roll and cut them 2″ x 2″.

Step 3: Sew them across horizontally.

Step 4: Press a seam 3/8″ on the reverse side of all 4 sides of the row.

Step 5: Align and measure your newly sewn row in relationship to the width of your towel. Trim accordingly.

Step 6: Pin the row to the border of the hand towel and sew a 1/4″ seam around the row. Sewing at 1/4″ will give the edge a nice lip to add a decorative touch.

Presto! You have a hand towel ready for your guests.

image

1 shower curtain. Measures 72″ x 72″. Machine washable.
1 decorative guest hand towel.

Glenn Dragone
http://yarnneedle.blogspot.com

image

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

How to Install Tile Flush with Hardwood Floors

10 Amazing Shower Stall Ideas for Your Bathroom

A Custom Six-Pac - Truck Camper Magazine