Top 71 Complaints and Reviews about American Standard Plumbing

I ordered three "H2Option 2-Piece Dual Flush 1.6/1.0 GPF Right Height Elongated Toilet, white" (model # 2286.216.020) from HD online. I opened a box containing one of the bowls, removed it, and turned it upside-down to examine it. It had an oval perimeter with a lower surface (now facing upward) designed to rest on a flat floor. It also had a round drain that protruded slightly above the mounting surface of the perimeter. This would not be a problem since the floor tiles were removed in that area. BUT, it also had a slightly curved, transverse strength member about 6 inches long that was about 4 inches in front of the drain and mounting holes. THIS ALSO PROTRUDED ABOVE THE MOUNTING SURFACE BY ABOUT 1/32-INCH. When I placed a carpenter's square lengthwise across the bottom of the toilet (front to back) the square would teeter-totter on this feature, alternately touching the front and then the back of the mounting surface.

This is "NO BUENO", especially for a toilet. I called A/S Customer Support to explain the condition and was told to email them a photo. I did, and they replied: "I have received and reviewed the photos and from what I can tell and my supervisor that the minor tilt is within the allowed specifications and will cause no difficulty in mounting." I responded that I was sure the flaw would cause no difficulty in mounting and that I could mount the toilet if the tilt were 1/4-inch and that the problem is the rigid and brittle nature of the material (porcelain) in conjunction with the stresses caused by the projection.

In fact, it is because the material is inflexible and brittle the amount of "tilt" is irrelevant. Virtually all toilet mounting instructions warn against "over-tightening" the mounting nuts because doing so could cause the toilet to break. I pointed out that the "projection" below the toilet is a fulcrum and the toilet is a lever. The mounting holes are 4-inches rearward of the projection while the front of the toilet bowl is 13.5-inches forward from the projection, which is 3.4 times the distance of the mounting holes. This means any downward force on the front of the bowl will result in an upward force at the mounting holes 3.4 times as great. Therefore, 250 lbs. on the front of the toilet would create 850 lbs. of force at the mounting bolts. And these force would be in addition to those caused by tightening the mounting nuts. If these forces are acceptable, then why warn against over-tightening the nuts.

I believe the curved projection is a strength feature that was not intended to protrude below the base rim. Somehow, maybe the part of the mold that forms it may have shifted somewhat and the error went unnoticed by Q/C. The projection is either a design flaw or a manufacturing defect and should NOT be there. I repeat, it "should NOT be there." It's just not good design-engineering. I asked, "Is it possible the toilet I un-boxed is unique in that it has the flaw? Should I open and inspect the other two bowls? Or, is it likely the three toilets shipped to me are from a particular 'lot' that comprise the excessive projection and somehow got passed 'inspection'. Or, is the defect apparent in all A/S toilets? Or, just the model that I bought?"

Even though I asked these questions several times, A/S customer support refused to give me any answers. They REFUSED! I also asked them to, "Please send me the A/S specification that 'allows' this 'minor tilt.'" That request was IGNORED (most likely because it doesn't exist). I said, "The bottom line is, I do not want toilets that have this condition. I just need to know if I re-order after returning them will the replacement toilets be the same." Again, NO RESPONSE. I said, "The A/S specification should be that lower edge of the projection may be exactly on-plane with the base edge, but under no circumstances, exceed it. By any amount!"

Once more, NO COMMENT from A/S. I also said, "All the information I've sent is for the benefit of you and your supervisor, who are obviously not engineers, yet seem to have the autonomy to arbitrarily establish A/S policy concerning toilet 'specifications.'" I really didn't expect a reply to this comment. The bottom line is, if you buy an A/S toilet, you may end up with one with a defect that may ultimately cause the toilet to break. And, if it breaks you need to wonder if A/S will honor their warranty, or will they say it was "your fault." And be aware that if you buy an A/S toilet and it has a problem, you shouldn't expect much help from their Customer Support. In fact, I wish I had Googled A/S Customer Support before buying their toilets (as you should). It would have saved me a lot of trouble.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

How to Install Tile Flush with Hardwood Floors

10 Amazing Shower Stall Ideas for Your Bathroom

A Custom Six-Pac - Truck Camper Magazine