Marc the plumber : Hello and thank you for using JA.com. I will assist you today with your question to the best of my ability.
Marc the plumber : Many times with replacement of seats and washers it takes time for the washers to mold and form to the seat. I always recommend working the handle back and forth and snug very tightly to ensure it forms properly.
Marc the plumber : As for the leak down the wall...is it leaking around the handles? Most likely the packing nuts are Too loose and need tightening. The packing nuts are directly behind the handle ( the first nut on the stem)
Marc the plumber : To tighten the packing nut I recommend removing the handle, turn the faucet on half way and then tighten the packing.
Marc the plumber : Its ok that you did not replace the spout
Customer:It's been 2 weeks. I've been working the handles but it's not helping. I've tried tightening down the packing nuts but if I tighten them too hard, the faucets can't turn.
Customer:I do have it tightened enough not to leak around the stems anymore.
Marc the plumber : With all new parts this shouldn't happen...
Marc the plumber : Ok if you have tightened the packing to the point of the handles not turning then You will need to replace the packing packing as it is probably squatted too much now
Marc the plumber : I would remove the stems again and check the washers and their condition. Ensure they are not cut or squashed too much and if they are you will also need to replace them. Also check the seats and make sure they are tight in place
Customer:well darn. at least its packing and not a whole new stem again. but no, i didn't leave it like that. i tightened the packing nut to tightly at first, and found it to hard to turn the handles so backed off on the packing nut until the handle turned easily but there was no leaking around it. Marc the plumber : Ya once backed off it allowed the leak. Never snug packing and back off as it is then squatted.
Marc the plumber : The packing can be purchased at your local hardware store. It is typically white and sold in a small blister pack.
Customer:we may not be talking about the same thing. just below the packing nut is the black rubber 1/2 inch thick ring. the old one was canvas and rubber in a stacked ring pattern. the new stem came with a hard black rubber one. there was nothing white anywhere. Marc the plumber : You are correct however if you go to the hardware store for replacement packing you will find that it is typically white and sold in a small white blister pack. It is like wicking and simply wrapped around the new stem and then tightened into place.
Marc the plumber : The existing packing can be left in place.
Customer:ok so now how to i make sure i tighten it enough but not too much this time? after all, i have no leaking around the stem now and the handles turn easily. but i do have a brand new persisent run from the faucet. how does than happen from the problem with the packing Marc the plumber : Oh I was under the impression from your Description that the handles were leaking down the wall. I am sorry I must have misunderstood. If they are no longer dripping then you are fine
Marc the plumber : Simply remove the stems and check the washers
Customer:no, no, i'm sorry for the miscommunication. the stems WERE leaking. that's what started everything and damaged the wall. fixed that. now that's all dry. but as soon as it was all fixed, now i have this drip from the faucet that wasn't there before. it's actually more than a drip, it's a continous run like the water isn't completely turned off. so when you say to remove the stems and check the washers, do you mean the washers held on by the screws at the bottom of the stems that connect with the seats? because I've already done that also.
Customer:Believe me, I hate to be such a pest about this. If I could afford a plumber, I woud b more than happy to pay the $90 an hour to get someone in here to do it for me but that's just not in the budget.
Marc the plumber : Ok yes that is what I meant however lets back up to the packing nuts again for a moment. Some faucets you may need to back the packing nuts off and tighten the stems then retighten the packing nuts. Some faucets the packing nuts will hold back the stems from being in the fully closed positions if tightened at the wrong position.
Marc the plumber : I completely understand your position. The vintage faucets can be tricky and problematic as well.
Customer:OK, my sequence was to screw the stems in as far as possible. Then put the packing nuts on and screw them tight. I had them screwed on too tight and couldn't turn the stems easily so I loosened teh packing nut until i could. Then turned water back on. Leaked around stem. Tightened packing nut until leak around stem stopped and but could still turn stem. I did it several times with the water on and off because I'm dyslexic and kept forgetting which way was actually off. So if the packing nut will hold the stems from being full closed if tightened at the wrong position, then what is the right position?. Marc the plumber : Without knowing the brand and model of the faucet it is very difficult to give exact directions. It is just a theory as some faucets the packing must me tightened while the stem is in the fully closed position.
Customer:The stems were Repken. But in general, the position for the stems should be fully off before tightening the packing? and at that point, the water flow should be fully off?
Marc the plumber : Correct
Customer:so do you think the running/dripping from the spout may be because the water isn't completely shut off even after replacing everything possible in the stem/seat set?
Marc the plumber : That is correct. Whatever flows past the faucet will come out the spout
Customer:Well that answers the basic question. I was afraid I needed get a hacksaw out and cut off the spout. So I just need to take the stems out again, put everything back and this time, be sure I have the stems in the completely off position before srewing down the packing nut. If that doesn't work, can you think of anything else that would cause the continuous drip?
Marc the plumber : Youve got it! As far as anything else that could cause the drip...a faulty faucet valve body itself in which would be unrepairable. I don't believe this would be your problem as you had it at one point.
Customer:OK, that's a relief. I really didn't want to have to replace the whole valve body but you're right. If at one point it wasn't leaking then that means that part must be ok. if the leak/drip only started after replacing the stem set then that msut mean it has something to do with the way the stem set was replaced. since all the pieces are new and intact, then that only leaves the way they were actually screwed in. so tonight i'll be taking it all apart one more time. this time i'll make sure both stems are in the righ tposition before tightening the set screw. i think that does it. thanks for the help
Marc the plumber : Is there anything further I can do to assist you today?
Customer:No, let's see how this works. thank you.
Komentar
Posting Komentar